Determination of Some Organic and Inorganic Nutritional Constituents in Beta Vulgaris Roots Prepared in Different Methods
Keywords:Beta vulgaris roots; Organic; Inorganic; Nutritional constituents, Betalains; Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy; Ion Selective Electrode
The nutritional value of the roots of Iraqi Beta vulgaris plant that have been prepared using several conventional techniques will be evaluated in the current research. One of the best and most important nutritional sources of iron, nitrate of nitrogen, magnesium, potassium, ascorbic acid, and folic acid is the juice of beta vulgaris roots.
Spectrophotometric techniques like UV-Visible, HPLC, and AAS have been used to estimate the levels of some organic and inorganic nutritional constituents and determine the level of the nitrate ion using an ion selective electrode technique in the prepared beta vulgaris root juice. The concentration of these organic and inorganic components varies depending on how the Beta vulgaris juice is prepared. The roots of Beta vulgaris have been processed in four different ways.
Ascorbic acid content is greatest in the prepared sample with sodium chloride (4.124 mg in 200 mL), while the sample treated with acetic acid has a high concentration of Betalains (10.96 mg in 200 mL) and folic acid (5.736 mg in 200 mL).
The potassium (552 mg in 200 mL) and magnesium (54 mg in 200 mL) concentrations in juice from the acetic acid-treated sample were relatively higher than those obtained from other methods, whereas the prepared sample with NaCl has a high concentration of NO3- (616 mg in 200 mL) and the prepared sample with cool water has a high concentration of iron (0.75 mg in 200 mL).
- Mikołajczyk-Bator, K. and S.J.A.S.P.T.A. Pawlak, The effect of thermal treatment on antioxidant capacity and pigment contents in separated betalain fractions. 2016. 15(3): p. 257-265.
- Ben Haj Koubaier, H., et al., Betalain and phenolic compositions, antioxidant activity of Tunisian red beet (Beta vulgaris L. conditiva) roots and stems extracts. 2014. 17(9): p. 1934-1945.
- Clifford, T., et al., The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. 2015. 7(4): p. 2801-2822.
- Guldiken, B., et al., Home-processed red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) products: Changes in antioxidant properties and bioaccessibility. 2016. 17(6): p. 858.
- Sawicki, T. and W.J.F.C. Wiczkowski, The effects of boiling and fermentation on betalain profiles and antioxidant capacities of red beetroot products. 2018. 259: p. 292-303.
- Kale, R., et al., Studies on evaluation of physical and chemical composition of beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.). 2018. 6(2): p. 2977-2979.
- Belhadj Slimen, I., et al., Chemical and antioxidant properties of betalains. 2017. 65(4): p. 675-689.
- Musa, Luma Amer, and Amal Mohamed Saeed. "Determination of Macro and Microelements in Medicinal Plant Purslane (Portulaca Oleracea L.) By Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometric (AAS) and Flame Photometric Techniques." Al Mustansiriyah Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 18.2 (2018): 51-57.
- Ahmed, Mohammed Abdullah. "Determination of Na, K and Fe in Lactuca Sativa by using Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometric and Flame Photometric Techniques." Al Mustansiriyah Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 17.2 (2017): 6-6.
- Ahmad, A., et al., Pharmacognostic specifications of roots of Beta vulgaris cultivated in India. 2013. 3(26): p. 5.
- Sharma, A., A. Dhiman, and P.J.J.I.A.R.M. Sindhu, Determination of total phenolic content and total proteins in phyllanthus emblica and Beta vulgaris. 2014. 2(2): p. 310-317.
- Rivoira, L., et al., New approaches for extraction and determination of betaine from Beta vulgaris samples by hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. 2017. 409(21): p. 5133-5141.
- SAANI, M. and R. LAwRENCE, Beta vulgaris root extracts: as free radical scavengers and antibacterial agent.
- Lazăr, S., et al., Optimization of betalain pigments extraction using beetroot by-products as a valuable source. 2021. 6(3): p. 50.
- Madhu, C., et al., Comparative Studies On Phytochemical Screening and Metal Analysis of Hydroalcoholic Extracts of Beta Vulgaris, Carica Papaya, and Vitisvinifera.
- dos Santos, A.M.P., et al., Determination and evaluation of the mineral composition of Chinese cabbage (Beta vulgaris). 2011. 4(4): p. 567-573.
- Moyo, M., et al., Determination of mineral constituents, phytochemicals and antioxidant qualities of Cleome gynandra, compared to Brassica oleracea and Beta vulgaris. 2018. 5: p. 128.
- Al-Khazraji, S.M.J.J.G.P.T., Hemopoietic activity of the beetroot ethanolic extract of beta Vulgaris (Shamandar) in albino rats. 2018. 10(3): p. 16-20.
- F Ahmad, A. and A.J.N.R.i.M.J. O Ali, Effect of Beta vulgaris root extracts in Rayeb milk on its microbiological, chemical and nutritional composition. 2019. 3(2): p. 286-296.
- Borjan, D., et al., Green Techniques for Preparation of Red Beetroot Extracts with Enhanced Biological Potential. 2022. 11(5): p. 805.
- Calva-Estrada, S., M. Jiménez-Fernández, and E.J.F.C.M.S. Lugo-Cervantes, Betalains and their applications in food: The current state of processing, stability and future opportunities in the industry. 2022. 4: p. 100089.
- Öncü-Kaya, E.M.J.C.B.U.J.o.S., Determination of Folic Acid by Ultra-High Performance Liquid Chromatography in Certain Malt-based Beverages after Solid-Phase Extraction. 2017. 13(3): p. 623-630.
- Tarrago-Trani, M.T., et al., Matrix-specific method validation for quantitative analysis of vitamin C in diverse foods. 2012. 26(1-2): p. 12-25.
- Moorcroft, M.J., J. Davis, and R.G.J.T. Compton, Detection and determination of nitrate and nitrite: a review. 2001. 54(5): p. 785-803.
- Albakaa, A., et al. Quantification of Ca, K, Mg, Zn and Fe elements in grape leaves from different regions of Iraq by atomic absorption spectroscopy. in Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2021. IOP Publishing.
- Kanner, J., et al., Betalains a new class of dietary cationized antioxidants. 2001. 49(11): p. 5178-5185.
- Allegra, M., et al., Mechanism of interaction of betanin and indicaxanthin with human myeloperoxidase and hypochlorous acid. 2005. 332(3): p. 837-844.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.