Development and validation of bioanalytical method for the determination of valsartan in human plasma
A bioanalytical method which utilizes high performance liquid chromatography with mass spectrometry method has been developed and validated for the quantification of valsartan in human plasma. The samples were processed by precipitation with formic acid then extracted with diethyl ether. Benazepril
was used as an internal standard. The chromatographic separation is performed through C18 column with a mobile phase consisting of deionized water, acetonitrile and formic acid, followed by mass spectrometric detection in the positive ionization mode. The proposed method was specific and had been validated in the linear range of 50.0 – 5000.0 ng/ml for valsartan. The validation results were as follows: the intra-day and inter-day precision were 3.46 to 8.33% and 5.85 to 7.05% respectively, the intra-day and inter-day accuracy were 93.53 to 107.13% and 95.26 to 104.0% respectively. The recovery for valsartan and benazepril was 81.4% and 113.7% respectively. Also, stability was studied and the results obtained for short-term stability 99.24 to 102.32%, for freeze / thaw stability 99.75 to 99.95% and for long-term stability 98.24 to 103.03%. It can be concluded that the method can be applied in pharmacokinetic bioequivalence studies.
- Shah V. P.; The History of Bioanalytical Method Validation and Regulation: Evolution of a Guidance Document on Bioanalytical Methods Validation, The AAPS Journal, 2007, 9 (1) Article 5. p: 43-47
- Bansal S. and DeStefano A; Key Elements of Bioanalytical Method Validation for Small Molecules, The AAPS Journal, 2007, 9(1), Article 11. p: 109-114
- Rocci M. L., Devanarayan V., Haughey D. B. and Jardieu P.; Confirmatory Reanalysis of Incurred Bioanalytical SSamples, The AAPS Journal, 2007, 9(3). p: 3336-343
- Deshpande M., Kasture V. S., Mohan M. and Chaudhari S. R.; Practical Approach for Development and Validation of Bioanalytical Method: A Review. Inventi Rapid: Pharm Analysis & Quality Assurance, 2016, 2017(1). p: 1-8
- Bakhtiar R., Majumdar T. K. and Tse F. L. S.; Chapter 13 The Role of Liquid Chromatography –Mass Spectroscopy in Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism, HPLC For Pharmaceutical Scientists, Edited by Y. KAZAKEVICH and, R. LOBRUTTO, A John Wiley & Sons, 1st edition, 2007, p: 605-637
- D. M. Ramanathan D. M. and Le Lacheur R. M.; Chapter 1 Evolving Role of Mass Spectrometry in Drug Discovery and Development, Mass Spectrometry in Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, Edited by Ramanathan R., by John Wiley & Sons, 1st edition, 2009, p: 1-85
- Flesch G, Muller P., and Lloyd P.; Absolute Bioavailability and Pharmacokinetics of Valsartan, an Angiotenin II Receptor Antagonist in Man. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 1997, 52(1). p: 115-120
- Saydam M. and S. Takka S.; Bioavailability File: Valsartan, A Scientific Review, FABAD Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2007, 32(1). p: 185-196
- Wu C. and Benet L.; Predicting Drug Disposition via Application of BCS: Transport / Absorption / Elimination Interplay and Development of a Biopharmaceutics Drug Disposition Classification System. Pharmaceutical Research, 2005, 22(1). p: 11- 23
- Amidon G., Lennernas H., Shah V. and Crison J.; A Theoretical Basis for a Biopharmaceutic Drug Classification: The Correlation of In vitro Drug Product and In vivo Bioavailability, Pharmaceutical Research, 1995. 12(3). p: 413-420
- Suresh. P. V., Nadendla R. R. and Challac B. R.; Bio-analytical Method Development and Validation of Valsartan by Precipitation with HPLC-MS/MS: Application to a Pharmacokinetic study, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2013, 5(7). p: 7-20
- Guidance for Industry; FDA Bioanalytical Method Validation Guidelines US Dept. of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), May. 2001. Available at: http: //www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/index.html
- Wieling J.; LC-MS-MS experiences with internal standards, 2002, Chromatographia, 55, p S107-S113
- Moosavi S. M. and Ghassabian S.; Linearity of Calibration Curves: A Review of Criteria for Assessment of Method Reliability: Calibration and Validation of Analytical Methods Validation. 2018, Chapter 6.
- Epshtein N.A.; Validation of Analytical Procedures: Graphic and Calculated Criteria for Assessment of Methods Linearity in Practice, Drug development & registration, 2019; 8(2): p 122-130
- Belouafa S., Habti F., Benhar S., Belafkih B., Tayane S., Hamdouch S., Bennamara A. and Abourriche A.; Statistical Tools and Approaches to Validate Analytical Methods: methodology and practical examples, International Journal of Metrology and Quality Engineering, 2017, 8(9), p 1-10
- Boudreau SP, McElvain JS and Martin LD; Method validation by phase of development: An Acceptable practice, Pharmaceutical Technology, 2004; 28: p 54-66.
- Taleuzzaman M, Gilani SJ, Ali S, Hafeez A and Nagarajan K; Bio-Analytical Method Validation, Austin Journal of Analytical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, 2015; 2(5): 1053. P 1-5
- Tiwari G. and Tiwari R.; Bioanalytical Method Validation: An Updated Review, Pharmaceutical Methods, 2010, 1(1), p 25-38
- Jangala H., Vats P., Khuroo A. H., and Monf T.; Development and Validation of a LC-MS/MS Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine and Valsartan in Human Plasma: Application to a Bioequivalence Study, Scientia Pharmaceutica, 2014; 82: p 585-600