Effect of Captopril on Toll Like Receptor Expression in Adjuvant Induced Arthritis
Keywords:Rheumatoid arthritis, Captopril, Toll like receptor
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an inflammatory disease with autoimmune origin that affect joints firstly and then progress to be a systemic disease. Toll like receptor (TLR) play an important role in the evolution and progression of this disease. Captopril is an angiotensin
enzyme inhibitor (ACEI) that is widely used to control elevation in the blood pressure. This drug has anti-inflammatory activities, for this reason we try to investigate its action in RA. In this study we found that captopril decreases both expression and intensity of TLR2.
- Chua-Aguilera CJ, Möller B, Yawalkar N. Skin Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis, Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, and Spondyloarthritides. Clinic Rev Allerg Immunol. 2017;53(3):371–93.
- Shaw M, Collins BF, Ho LA, Raghu G. Rheumatoid arthritis-associated lung disease. Eur Respir Rev. 2015;24(135):1–16.
- Schmalz G, Noack S, Patschan S, Patschan D, Müller GA, Rupprecht A, et al. Disease activity, morning stiffness and missing teeth are associated with oral health-related quality of life in individuals with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Oral Invest. 2020;24(10):3559–66.
- Alam J, Jantan I, Bukhari SNA. Rheumatoid arthritis: Recent advances on its etiology, role of cytokines and pharmacotherapy. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2017;92:615–33.
- Almoallim H, Al Saleh J, Badsha H, Ahmed HM, Habjoka S, Menassa JA, et al. A Review of the Prevalence and Unmet Needs in the Management of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Africa and the Middle East. Rheumatol Ther [Internet]. 2020.
- Alkazzaz AMH. Incdence of Rheumatoid Arthritis [2001 to 2011]. 2013;(4):5.
- McInnes IB, Schett G. The Pathogenesis of Rheumatoid Arthritis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2011;365(23):2205–19.
- El-Zayat SR, Sibaii H, Mannaa FA. Toll-like receptors activation, signaling, and targeting: an overview. Bull Natl Res Cent. 2019;43(1):187.
- Shabbir A, Batool SA, Basheer MI, Shahzad M, Sultana K, Tareen RB, et al. Ziziphora clinopodioides ameliorated rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory paw edema in different models of acute and chronic inflammation. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2018; 97:1710–21.
- Feng Q, Liu D, Lu Y, Liu Z. The Interplay of Renin-Angiotensin System and Toll-Like Receptor 4 in the Inflammation of Diabetic Nephropathy. Journal of Immunology Research. 2020.
- Spertini F, Brunner H R, Waeber B, Gavras H. The opposing effects of chronic angiotensin-converting enzyme blockade by captopril on the responses to exogenous angiotensin II and vasopressin vs. norepinephrine in rats. Circulation Research. 1981;48(5):612–8.
- Liu H-M, Wang K-J. Therapeutic effect of Captopril on rheumatoid arthritis in rats. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2014;7(12):996–9.
- Saadoon A, Alabbassi M, Nadia D, Mohammed H. Effect of Methanol Watery Extract of Cuscuta Chinensis in Rheumatoid Arthritis Induced Rats. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International. 2020; 12:1596–607.
- Wahba MGF, Messiha BAS, Abo-Saif AA. Protective effects of fenofibrate and resveratrol in an aggressive model of rheumatoid arthritis in rats. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2016;54(9):1705–15.
- Struck MB, Andrutis KA, Ramirez HE, Battles AH. Effect of a Short-term Fast on Ketamine–Xylazine Anesthesia in Rats. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2011;50(3):344–8.
- Mescher AL. Histology & Its Methods of Study. In: Junqueira’s Basic Histology: Text and Atlas [Internet]. 15th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Education; 2018 [cited 2021 May 31].
- abcam. IHC protocol: paraffin, frozen and free-floating sections | Abcam [Internet]. [cited 2021 Jun 1].
- Fedchenko N, Reifenrath J. Different approaches for interpretation and reporting of immunohistochemistry analysis results in the bone tissue – a review. Diagnostic Pathology. 2014;9(1):221.
- Arleevskaya MI, Larionova RV, Brooks WH, Bettacchioli E, Renaudineau Y. Toll-Like Receptors, Infections, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Clinic Rev Allerg Immunol. 2020;58(2):172–81.
- Rana AK, Li Y, Dang Q, Yang F. Monocytes in rheumatoid arthritis: Circulating precursors of macrophages and osteoclasts and, their heterogeneity and plasticity role in RA pathogenesis. International Immunopharmacology. 2018; 65:348–59.
- Takakubo Y, Tamaki Y, Hirayama T, Iwazaki K, Sasaki K, Sasaki A, et al. Inflammatory immune cell responses and Toll-like receptor expression in synovial tissues in rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with biologics or DMARDs. Clin Rheumatol. 2013;32(6):853–61.